In case if you didn’t know, you can indeed setup restrictions on your iOS Device (iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad) thereby dis-allowing the user of the device from accessing certain features of the device. The feature is especially useful for parents who give their device to their children, but can also be useful for companies who issues iOS devices to employees, and do not want them to use the device for purposes other than work (for example, checking out youtube videos using youtube app).
In this article, am going to walk you through the step by step instructions on setting up restrictions on your iOS device. This is a video post (post with a video tutorial) and is centered around my theme of adding more visual appeal to Technofriends. Previously, i had done two more video posts titled How to find the phone number of your iPad and How to view and close background apps on iOS.
1. Navigate first to the settings icon on your iOS device.
2. Click on the menu item “General” and scroll down. You will find “Restrictions”. By default this setting is turned off. Click on it.
3. Next, in order to enable the setting you will need to click on the button which reads “Enable Restrictions”. This will prompt you to enter a 4 digit passcode. I strongly recommend that you use a passcode which is different from the passcode used for locking your phone.
4. Once you are done with the steps above, you will have the option to decide what your iOS device can be used for. For example, you can turn off Safari, iTunes, ability to install apps, ability to make in-app purchases, location data usage, camera, facetime etc.
5. There is also an option for selecting ratings for different countries. You can select the ratings as per your country of choice. Do note each country has a different rating scheme. For example, something which might be considered OK for kids above 12 years age, might not be seen in the same light in a country like Saudi Arabia for example.
6. Restrictions also allows you to turn off multiplayer game options and ability to add new friends in Game Centre.
Do note that if you disable FaceTime, you will not get the option to use FaceTime when making calls and disabling location will prevent the phone from using services such as Maps. Your camera will also not be able to geotag the photos.
In case if you are no more interested in keeping the restrictions setting enabled, you can disable them by first going into the restrictions setting menu and then clicking on the button “Disable Restrictions” as shown in the image below.
I have also created a small video to help you understand restrictions setting in iOS. Do check the video as well and let me know your thoughts.
Follow me on Twitter at @vaibhav1981 Apple, How-To, iOS, Ipad, iPhone, Ipod Touch, Restrictions in iOS 5